11 Must have grocery items for Weekends at Home
Everybody’s grocery shopping list is different. There is no such thing as a typical grocery shopping list. People change and adapt their food supplies to meet their changing circumstances and demands. But where do you begin if you’ve never made a grocery shopping list before? Here’s a basic shopping list to get you started on creating your own grocery shopping list masterpiece.
Shopping for those wacky new recipes you’ve seen online or your go-to comfort foods will be a high priority for you at this time. However, if you do so, you may find yourself unable to prepare and fill meals when you need them. Or, you might be in a hurry and want to cook something quick and easy instead of devoting hours to a culinary masterpiece.
Let’s look at some staple grocery shopping needs
Fish & Meat
- What kind of meat you choose is completely up to you. Due to the low saturated fat content, it is recommended to get skinless white meats like turkey or chicken over dark meats like beef or pork. If you want your meat to have a deeper red, go for leaner cuts.
- Two meals of fish per week are recommended, with one of those being oily fish like tuna, haddock, or mackerel.
- Foods like Tinned and Dried Produce Pulses are excellent sources of protein for people who are vegetarians or vegans (or even those who are flexitarian). Pulses are a must for grocery shopping.
- Chopped tomatoes are a time saver because they eliminate the need to skin and chop fresh tomatoes. In addition, numerous sauces and meals are built around these. Do you require a quick and easy meal? To make a simple tomato sauce to go with pasta, sauté some onion and garlic and add a tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Soup makes a fantastic last-minute lunch. Soup from a can contains more nutrients than soup from a box. The only drawbacks are that they’re more expensive and take up a lot more storage space.
- Add salt to your food to make it taste better. Herbs and spices can be substituted for salt if you’re on a low-sodium diet like the DASH diet. Salt is obviously a must in anybody’s grocery shopping list.
- Pepper is another common seasoning used to enhance the flavour of meals.
- Spices and herbs are additional components that enhance the flavour of your food. Choose herbs based on your personal preferences for flavour and aroma in the kitchen. If your culinary style is more Italian or Mediterranean, make sure you have lots of basil and oregano on hand. Store coriander and cumin in your pantry if your tastes run to the eastern hemisphere.
- Some sauces also call for stock cubes. Great if you want to make your own soup from the ground up, as well.
- Yoghurt and cereal can both benefit from the addition of honey as a natural sweetener.
- Vinegar may give your cuisine a kick of flavour. You can also make a basic salad dressing by combining it with a little oil.
- Sugar – sweeten your tea, coffee, cakes, and life in general with a little bit of sweetness! If you’re trying to lose weight while also improving your health, artificial sweeteners are a great option.
Dairy and egg products
- If you like your hot drinks a lighter shade of brown or want to prepare a sauce, milk is a must-have for breakfast. Soy or almond milk are good options for vegans and health-conscious people.
- Eggs are a key element in cakes, but they may also be used in a variety of ways for a quick breakfast or lunch.
- In sandwich fillings and cheesy side dishes and main courses, cheese is a terrific staple component.
Bread and Grains
- Pasta is a terrific go-to meal because it’s so simple and quick to prepare.
- You can’t have a meal without rice. It fills you up and adds bulk to your plate at the same time.
- Bread is a must-have for sandwiches since it holds together so well. You suggest wholemeal or wholegrain breads as a way to increase the amount of beneficial fibre in your diet.
- All-purpose flour is a staple that you should keep on hand at all times. It can be used as a thickening agent in sauces, or to coat meat and other components before frying to give them a crispy exterior.
- Cereal for breakfast can help you get a good start on the day. To help you feel fuller longer, steer clear of the sweeter varieties and choose those that are high in fibre instead. Take a look at unsweetened granola or oat porridge.
Keep an eye on Wispri and you’ll never have to worry about missing out on a deal again. Wispri alerts you when the prices of your grocery shopping list drops! You can set up price drop alerts for your favourite items with Wispri and get the best deals! Take a look at our Chrome Extension and install it right away! https://bit.ly/3xOMHH2.